TIPS TO KEEP YOUR TAN LOOKING FABULOUS
Before your tanning session...
To prepare for your tan, it's best to come freshly showered, shaved and exfoliated. This step is not essential but it helps to have a smooth clean canvas to start your sunless tan.
If your skin is feeling extra dry, apply a light layer of lotion to hydrate the skin and allow for even absorption of your spray tan. (Too much lotion could act as a slight barrier to the tan.) Use a damp towel to gently rub off any old sunless tanner. The lotion can also remove any residual sunless tanner.
During your tanning session, you should wear dark coloured comfortable under garments. If you choose to wear a bathing suit, it's best to wear a black or dark coloured one. The instant bronzing color can rub off slightly but washes out completely. It's always best to be careful with sensitive fabrics like bathing suits.
Caring for Your Tan…
After your tanning session, you'll want to wait at least 6-8 hours before showering, swimming, exercising or doing any activity that may disrupt the tanning process.
It's possible for some of the initial color to rub off on your clothes before you take your first shower. It will wash out completely. To reduce this. it's best to wear dark, loose fitting clothing after your tanning session.
Your tan will last as long as your outer layer of skin takes to naturally exfoliate. Exfoliating products, long hot baths and chlorinated pools will cause your skin to exfoliate faster and sadly your tan will fade with it. Not to worry, touch-ups are easy! Use any of our Mermaid Mousses Cabana Tans or Tan Icon products to give your tan a boost in between spray tanning sessions.
The absolute best way to ensure your tan lasts as long as possible is to keep your skin well moisturized. Moisturize your skin with lotion heavily once or twice a day and your skin will stay well hydrated and your tan will remain even and happy.
Make others envious and flaunt your gorgeous tan!
Is Sunless Tanning Safe?
Topical sunless tanning products are generally considered safe alternatives to sunbathing, as long as they're used as directed.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved dihydroxyacetone for external application to the skin. However, the FDA states that DHA shouldn't be inhaled or applied to areas covered by mucous membranes, including the lips, nose or areas around the eyes because the risks of doing so are unknown.
If you're using a sunless tanning product at home, follow the directions on the label carefully and don't get the product in your eyes, nose or mouth. If you're going to a sunless tanning (spray tanning) booth, ask how your eyes, lips, nose and ears will be protected and how you will be protected from inhaling the tanning spray. Options for protecting yourself while applying or having a sunless tanning spray applied include wearing goggles, nose plugs or a nose filter and lip balm.
What's the best way to apply a sunless tanning lotion?
- Before applying a sunless tanning, product exfoliate your skin with a washcloth. This will help remove excess dead skin cells. Spend a little extra time exfoliating an areas with thick skin, such as your knees, elbows and ankles.
Dry your skin:
- Apply in sections. Massage the product into your skin in a circular motion. Apply the tanner to your body in sections, such as your arms, legs and torso. Wash your hands with soap and water after each section to avoid discoloring your palms. Lightly extend the product from your ankles to your feet and from your wrists to your hands.
- Wipe joint areas. Knees, elbows and ankles tend to absorb more of sunless tanning products.
To dilute the tanning effect:
- In these areas, gently rub them with a damp towel.
- Take time to dry. Wait at least 10 minutes before getting dressed. Wear loose clothing and try to avoid sweating.